Being new to the city it was hard to figure out where the fun stuff happens, especially fun kid-friendly stuff. I’ve been hard at work going on adventures with my girls to find fun, interesting, and enjoyable activities. Winter time is especially hard. Sure, there’s skiing, everyone knows skiing. But, did you know about the Midway Ice Castle? They open every winter as soon as it gets cold enough and they stay open until it’s just not cold enough.
About Midway Ice Castle
I’ve heard that every year they get bigger and better. I’m not sure I can verify that but it is definitely bigger than five years ago. Five years ago was the first time I heard about it when someone recommended I get my bridals done there. I did, they were gorgeous. This was also right after Frozen and I had several dumbstruck little girls who thought I was the princess. Yes, I got pictures with them. No, I never saw them again.
The ice castle is located near the Homestead Resort. The tickets are available online. There is a standby line but due to the popularity they urge you to purchase the tickets ahead of time.
This year I was again impressed by the beauty and the cold. Here’s some information to help you decide if this is the family adventure for you:
I’d say the Midway Ice Castle are appropriate for Ages 4 on up and those not super sensitive to cold.
- It was absolutely stunning. A castle made of ice is as gorgeous as it sounds.
- The slides for 42″ and taller were actually a lot of fun, even for the adults.
- When it gets darker there are some beautiful light shows on the ice that is perfect for photo ops.
- There are some beautiful fountains.
- There are plenty of employees to help you find your way.
- They’ve streamlined the process of getting tickets right to your phone so you can get right in when you get there.
- Did I mention how beautiful it was?
- You can purchase hot cocoa and other snacks at their snack bar.
- The tickets are not on the cheaper end, I recommend visiting during the week if at all possible for the cheaper pricing.
- Since they’ve joined with the Homestead Resort it’s easier to find but they also have lots of ways to make money. For example, the overpriced snacks at the cafe and the expensive souvenirs in the shop – conveniently located on the only path to the car. It’s a tourist trap though so as long as you know and expect it then it’s fine.
- It’s cold. Very cold. But it’s an ice castle so this is another thing you should expect and prepare for.
Overall the Midway Ice Castle was a fun experience for us. I plan on waiting until my girls are tall enough for the bigger slides and taking them during a week day. I also recommend going as an after-Christmas activity to drive away the winter blahs.
Stay tuned for more fun activities in Salt Lake City! If there’s any place you’d love for me to try out let me know. I’ll do my best and report back here.